Pulihora or Tamarind Rice is a dish we prepare for most of our festivals in South India.Its a tangy flavoured rice mixed in tamarind sauce and spices and garnished with roasted peanuts and tastes great with plain yogurt and appadam (papad).
- 2 cups cooked rice (each grain should be separate)
- 1/4 tsp teaspoon turmeric (haldi,pasupu)
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 4 tbsps tamarind extract
- 1 tbsp channa dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds ( aavalu)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 5 medium dry red chili
- 4 green chilis slit length wise
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida, inguva)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds pwd(nuvvulu) (optional
Mix the cooked rice with 2 tbsp oil,salt, turmeric pwd,roasted peanuts and 10 curry leaves. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a vessel.Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.Now add dry red chillis,cumin seeds,channa dal,urad dal and fry for 15-20 seconds till light brown.
Now add the slit green chillis,ginger,asafoetida and curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds.Now add the tamarind extract and cook till the raw smell disappears..approx 3-4 minutes.Add the seasame seeds powder and mix well.Remove from heat.
Add this to the rice and mix well.Adjust salt.
Serve with plain yoghurt.
Note:You can adjust the tamarind extract according to your taste.